Saturday, October 10, 2009

Tuesday Oct 11th [1864]

Slept very well better than I have
any night yet. I got up at 3 A.M.
to get water. (It is very scarce) but
the Guard would not let any
one out until 7 A.M. I burned my
bread and laid down again. At
7. we got out. Knox Campbell
got the water. I made a pot of
Coffee. I saw Lt. Springer this
morning. At 9 A.M. fell in and
was counted off by the Q.M. At
10 A.M. they issued Bread & nothing else
(50). Very hot all day. At 12 M they
commenced issuing soup, but it did [not]
reach us. We had to do with out.
We drew a pretty good ration of
wood. report says, they are going
to Parole us. This is the hardest
hole we was ever in. No water and
only one half loaf Bread. Got a
Shave today. Made a Bucket
of Coffee. Evening clear cool &
chilly

No comments:

Post a Comment