Friday, October 9, 2009

Monday Oct 10th 1864

The night was very cold. but I managed
to get some sleep. but I nearly froze
myself. Morning clear & very cool
Made Jerry some tea out of bark
At 8 A.M. the Drums beat And all
fell in and was counted off
for rations. Drew nothing but
soft Bread (50). Toasted some
for Jerry in the Hospital. Sun came
out and made it very comfortable
Slept all morning. In our corner of
the yard is the Main Building.
Cotton Factory. in it they had
confined their Deserters. they were
taken away today. At 4 P.M. Drew
1 Pint of Rice soup. Directly after
our soup. [Cpl. Rawley H.] Jollif[f] [Sgt. James W.] Eberhart Rutter &
myself got in the Building. 3
Stories high & capable of holding 300
on a floor. We slept on the 3rd floor
Evening clear & cool.

Pvt. John R. Rutter, Co. G 191st Infantry?
There was also a Thompson Rutter in Co. I.

No comments:

Post a Comment